Saturday, December 19, 2015

"Growing old has been the greatest surprise of my life." Billy Graham

"Whenever a man's friends begin to compliment him about looking young, he may be sure that they think he is growing old." Victor Hugo.

Friday morning I had a conversation with a man who is just a little younger than me. We were helping to set up to serve breakfast for some of the youth here in Montrose who attend early morning Seminary (religious study) before high school begins. The conversation was (in that moment) focused on the very young looking boys and girls who were in attendance. Neither of us believing that any of them were in high school or even old enough to drive a car so they could get to high school. We spoke of doing double takes when we see some of these kids driving or involved in other activities that seem beyond how old they appear. It occurred to me then that older folks don't seem all that old any longer either, though I didn't express the thought in our conversation.

About 8 o'clock last night as I was headed back to work to meet a customer (as arranged earlier in the day) I had to exert nearly Herculean effort to drag my backside out the door to go meet them and contract a deal. What the heck happened (and when)? I remember nights not that many years ago when Mom had to turn off the back porch light, at 10 o'clock, to get us to end the basketball game we were playing in the backyard. If she didn't neither my parents nor the parents of my friends who lived in the neighborhood, and who were involved in the game, would be able to get any rest. Just those few years ago I could have played well into the night and still gotten enough sleep to arise early and return to work with all the energy and vigor needed (with some to spare).

As British author Ruth Rendell put it, "I wouldn't be young again even if it were possible, but I'm not going to pretend that growing old is all sweetness and light."

This year has really been an eye opener for me (just turned 56). I don't even remember all the aches and issues that sent me to the doctor(s) this year. I was stunned, though, when I went to pick up a prescription at the pharmacy a few weeks ago and was told that there was no charge because I had satisfied my annual out of pocket expense for the year. I knew that the budget had taken quite a hit this year due to CT scans, MRI, and a myriad of other medically necessary tests, prods, and pokes. I told a co-worker recently that if anything is going to happen to me for the next five years I wanted it all before the end of this year so we could be done with it. I really don't want that. Though I hope this is it for some time to come.

There are things I enjoy immensely about growing old though. My relationship with my sweetheart has never been stronger. Shared trials and joys bring a man and a woman closer together in very interesting ways. Some might look at the outwardly distant appearing relationship that we have and not notice those moments of public intimacy that indicate otherwise. The touch of a hand, the look of pride for a job well done. The bag lunch provided when she knows I will have a long day of meetings on a Sunday afternoon. There are others but I won't enumerate because they are intended to be private even though public. Things that mean a great deal to us because of our history that don't mean much to anyone else.

"We mustn't be led into thinking getting old is bad. Growing old is good." (Joanna Lumley)

There are days when I wish for the vigorous strength of youth. There are days when I long for the return of that feeling of immortality that we all feel when we are young. Not today though. Today I am grateful for the experiences that have been my life. The sum may not add up to much. But it does add up to who I have become thus far. My hope is for many more opportunities to gain experience and become more than I am today.

I hope the same for all my friends.

Thanks for checking in. More to come soon. See you then.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment