Monday, January 13, 2014

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." Steven Wright

Yesterday was the anniversary of Mom's death. I know that many of you can relate to what I experienced throughout the day. Overall I would say that it was a good day.

As I was headed out the door to a church meeting in Delta, Colorado yesterday Cindy asked if I planned to go to the cemetery. I had not even considered the possibility. Since the previous evening I had pondered calling my Aunt (moms sister) to see how she was doing and to offer whatever comfort I could. I just had not made any definite plans for the day. While driving toward Delta I decided that I would attend my meetings for the morning and then drive on to Grand Junction and make a stop at Veterans Memorial Cemetery, then stop by my Aunt and Uncle's home to see how they are getting along, and then on the way home I would stop by the home of a friend who lost his father earlier last week. The plan was made.

It was a very good day in church with a lot of good fellowship and several very good messages shared in the leadership meetings prior to sacrament meeting. Followed by a couple of great messages in sacrament meeting. I then headed out to follow my plan.



I sat on the bench just in front of the niche marker and thought about all of the things that happened over the past year that she missed. All have been written about in previous posts though I will briefly mention some of the most notable. The birth of another great grand-daughter, the marriage of a grand-daughter, a graduation, and many others came to mind as I was sitting there. I stood after a time to enjoy the view of Colorado National Monument. Mom always thought the placement of Dad's remains was so appropriate since he had spent much of his youth living there. I wonder at the things that run through my mind in moments like this.

I left the cemetery and drove to my next destination where I was greeted warmly. My aunt had clearly had a difficult day but she was pleased that I stopped by for a visit. They were glad I had already stopped by the niche and asked about my family and how we are all doing. We talked some about the feelings and emotions of the previous evening and of the events of the same a year ago. It was good to spend the time with them.

The last stop on my journey was as uneventful and just as meaningful as the first two. I think it good to provide comfort and show concern for someone with whom you have shared similar experience. Grief manifests itself in many sundry ways and we each react according to our own belief and understanding. The comfort of friends, I think, is universal.

My brother posted on his Facebook wall yesterday of missing her in his life and of reaching for his phone from time to time with the thought of something he wanted to share with her. Followed by the abrupt realization that that was not a possibility. I too have those moments. Family members become such an important part of life that the reality of them not being available is difficult to always remember. Our daily interactions become almost automatic thus making them hard to do without.

She is missed.

Thanks for checking in. More to come soon. See you then.


No comments:

Post a Comment