Thursday, January 23, 2014

Homeward bound!

Cindy and I took a long weekend trip to visit our family in Nashville over the MLK Jr. holiday weekend. It was a busy few days filled with family, friends, music, art, and much humor. I will blog about the trip and the activities next time. For today I want to share some of my musings about home, specifically about returning home after a journey.

As comfortable as I am visiting new places, sleeping in unfamiliar accommodations, spending time with new friends, and making new acquaintances along the way. I was reminded that I am really a homebody. I love the familiar. Some might look at my life in Colorado and think that I am stuck in a rut. And, from a distance, I suppose it does look that way. However, I don't think that I/we are any different from most of the rest of the world. We live where we live because we like it. We do the things we do because it satisfies a hunger we feel. When that want changes, or we discover a new want in life we make adjustments and fall into a new pattern (rut).

As we boarded our flight to return to Denver I noticed that my attitude was changing. We had just said goodbye to our daughter (Stefanie), her husband (Matthew) and family (Michaela and Lucy) accompanied by the minor pain associated with the knowledge that we will not spend more time together for several months. When I realized that I was already beginning to shift back into my Colorado/work/relaxation mode. I had not noticed a shift as we headed toward Nashville and family, but did feel that change as we headed home.

The excitement grew as we returned to Denver International Airport and continued to build as we headed west in interstate 70 toward Grand Junction. By the time we exited the interstate and turned south toward our home in Montrose I was again energized by the familiar. Other parts of the country fascinate me. I want to know the history of places. I want to see the sights and experience what those places have to offer, but, that final turn toward home and what is familiar has always had a profound effect on me.
  

The lyrics for the song Homeward Bound by Marta Keen Thompson appear below. This is from the arrangement done for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir by Mack Wilberg. A beautifully performed piece that has made its way around the globe in many different interpretations. I have heard it performed by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir on Music and the Spoken Word and it is also available on youtube.com for you to enjoy.

On a quiet misty morning
When the moon has gone to bed,
When the sparrows stop their singing
And the sky is clear and red,
When the summer's ceased its gleaming
When the corn is past its prime,
When adventure's lost its meaning -
I'll be homeward bound in time
Bind me not to the pasture
Chain me not to the plow
Set me free to find my calling
And I'll return to you somehow
If you find it's me you're missing
If you're hoping I'll return,
To your thoughts I'll soon be listening,
And in the road I'll stop and turn
Then the wind will set me racing
As my journey nears its end
And the path I'll be retracing
When I'm homeward bound again
Bind me not to the pasture
Chain me not to the plow
Set me free to find my calling
And I'll return to you somehow
(softly)
On a quiet misty morning
When the moon has gone to bed,
When the sparrows stop their singing
I'll be homeward bound again.

That last line is a wonderful thought to me. "I'll be homeward bound again." The journey is always a joy the turn homeward is joyous for me. 

That is it for now. Thanks for checking in. More to come soon. See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment