Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Little irritations.

So earlier today while at work my boss was sitting in his office asking me questions through the window in the wall of our adjoining offices. He had a salesman in his office and was also having a conversation with him regarding a deal they were working on together. If I thought the questions were directed at me I would answer - if I thought an answer was needed. My boss (Chad) started grumbling about the lack of response when I failed to acknowledge a comment he made about an out of state tax percentage that we would need to include in a deal headed my way. He asked me if I was mad at him? or, if there was some other reason that I was not participating in the conversation he thought we were having (my wife would probably chime in here with her own examples). I explained that if I thought he needed a response I responded; otherwise, not so much. He then stood in the window and asked me why I was being so mean to him (jokingly). I replied, "Because its fun!" He laughed out loud and wondered if he would ever get used to my humor.

This conversation got me thinking about a day not too long ago that began with both Chad and me in a grumpy mood. It seemed from the beginning of the day that we were going to be dealing with one disaster after another. Customer complaints, salespeople sniping at one another. The city dropped off a notice that his tenant had not paid their water and trash bill and service would be cutoff if not paid by the end of business that day, problems in the shop, problems with the manufacturer, problems with some lenders .... not that unusual for a Monday in the car business except for the volume and duration. By lunchtime we were both ready to lock the doors and send everyone home. Of course we couldn't, but we wanted to. As the end of the day approached we finally had put most of the fires out or, at least, had a solution working that should clear up the matter in question. Needless to say, I left for home quite anxious for some respite from the turmoil and stress of the day.

I sent a text to my sweetheart (Cindy) to see if she wanted to go out to dinner that night and received a reply that that would be a wonderful idea as she was having a stressful day (something in the air?) and could use a break. Upon arrival at home we got right back into a vehicle and headed across town to have dinner. As we pulled into the restaurant parking lot I realized that my wallet was in my briefcase back at home; I kind of chuckled to myself that I had forgotten it, but, figured that Cindy would pay with our bank debit card - no problem. As we were getting out of the car I mentioned that I had forgotten to grab my wallet and would need to pay with the debit card. She looked at me with a surprised expression put her purse down on the hood and commented that she really hoped she had put her wallet back in her purse after making an online purchase. She went digging (honestly girls, how much stuff do you carry in those things?) and quickly realized that it was not there. We climbed back into the car - one of us laughing (me), and one of us grumbling about how ridiculous it was that we both forgot and what a pain it was to have to drive all the way back home just for a stupid wallet that was sitting on the kitchen table.

I am pretty sure we stopped at every light on Main Street as we headed home and fell in behind every driver who felt the need to drive well below the posted speed limit. My recollection is that the bridge construction before the turn toward home also caused us a delay. I also remember that the grumpiness emanating from the driver seat was getting pretty humorous, though the passenger dare not laugh (at least in the moment). Once a wallet had been retrieved we returned across town to the same restaurant and a fabulous meal with some good conversation and the evening was saved. Minor problems, petty irritations, uncomfortable slip ups - it all can be overcome with a change in perspective. I look back on the day and smile at the memory.

We all choose how we will react to those little (or large) irritations each day and how we react often makes our day good or ill. It is our choice. Nothing revelatory here, just commenting on recent occurrences in the slow lane.

Cindy is out of town this week. Celebrating Tessa Sadler's first birthday with family and friends in Broomfield, CO. Wishing I could be there but someone has to hold our place in line.

Thanks for checking in. More to come soon. See you then.

2 comments: