Monday, June 1, 2015

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter." Satchel Paige

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." Steven Wright

My brain is a jumble of random thoughts and ideas this morning. Not sure where this post may go or end up. I hope this has given you fair warning.

Tomorrow would be Dads 78th birthday. It has only been 9 years that he has been gone and in that time there have been years when this date goes by with little notice. For some reason this is one of the years when the date has been on my radar for several weeks. I have thought about what makes this time different and have arrived at no clear answer. It just is, and maybe that really is all there is to it.

"I wish the first word I ever said was the word "quote," so right before I die I could say "unquote."

A friend spoke in a church meeting I attended last evening about an experience he had a few months ago. He is a very healthy active older gentleman that I have enjoyed getting to know over the last year or so. A few months ago he made a mis-step while working on the roof of his barn and fell to the ground. He ended up with 10 broken ribs and a damaged hip that required some repair work by one of the paint and body men at St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction, CO. Followed by a total of three weeks hospitalization and a steady recovery period since. He is doing remarkably well and gives credit to the faith of all those who offered prayers on his behalf and to the priesthood blessings he received immediately following the injury and just prior to the surgery. He is a good man and I have learned that he is a man of great faith. I aspire to be like him someday.

"I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering." Steven Wright

Often I take time to dig in and study verses of scripture but lately I have just been reading with only occasional pauses to look up a cross reference or to consult another talk or writing of a respected authority. Just reading. I have covered a lot of ground very quickly (I read on average 6-8 chapters in the New Testament and the same in The Book of Mormon daily) and have enjoyed it immensely. As I have the opportunity to serve in the Church I find my mind occupied with specific scriptures and how they apply in a given circumstance. So a brief respite from focused learning has been very pleasant. I will continue to read somewhere in the scriptures for enjoyment but will soon begin to focus my effort on specifics.

"Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country." Steven Wright

We ( Cindy and I) continue to get occasional phone calls from our granddaughter Mo. Often her parents know about it and sometimes they don't. I'm not sure I even knew the telephone existed when I was that young (she will be 4 in a month or so). Those are fun conversations and usually leave a smile on my face even if I have to make it a short call because of work or other responsibilities.

"All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand." Steven Wright

This should be a very good and busy week. I am looking forward to seeing it through to completion. I hope you all have a good one as well.

Thanks for checking in. More to come soon. See you then.  

No comments:

Post a Comment