Wednesday, April 1, 2015

"A single rose can be my garden... a single friend, my world." Leo Buscaglia

Fans of Bill Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes comic strip may remember the strip that shows Calvin and Hobbes in bed, with Calvin commiserating that he could not sleep, and that nighttime must be dark so you can better imagine your fears. He then notices that Hobbes (stuffed tiger) is asleep next to him and he gets caught up in watching him and commenting on how he looks when he sleeps and how tightly he closes his eyes. Calvin then remarks "Good ol' Hobbes, what a friend." He then puts his head down on the pillow and says, "Things are never quite as scary when you've got a best friend." And he drifts off to sleep. What a great sentiment. Thank you Bill Watterson for that gentle reminder of the importance of friends.

I had a customer who recently had his seventieth birthday. We spoke about our respective families for a moment and he asked me if I had any siblings. Of course I told him I have one brother who lives in another part of the country. He asked if we are close. I had to admit that we really are not. He asked if I minded sharing with him how old I am? I told him. He laughed and shared with me the thought that he and his brother were no different. He said those years from about 30-60 brothers are so busy with their own lives that they rarely communicate. He indicated that in his informal survey of friends and acquaintances it has been universally true that as men (brothers) near retirement and life begins to slow down they once again become friends. I hope this is true for Mitchell D. and me. I know it would make our Mother very happy.

Ralph Waldo Emerson once observed that "The only way to have a friend is to be one."

As I sit here composing this post I find myself wondering if I have ever truly been a friend. Based on the Emerson quote I suppose I have. I have enjoyed many friends in my life. Still do have many whom I consider friends. According to dictionary.com a friend is,

"a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard." 

Seems kind of clinical but accurate. According to Facebook I have 264 friends (pretty sure I have many more but some are not on that site).

Jeff Foxworthy says, "There are friends, then there are the friends you can talk about anything with (and also go to jail with)." A funny bit with a lot of truth in it. In that same vein Walter Winchell is quoted as saying, "A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." There are many in my life that I can count on when in a difficult spot. They are there when needed and have even been willing to step in at great inconvenience to themselves. Grateful for them and their friendship.  Hopefully they all know that I am there for them in times of trouble and need.

"There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true friendship." Thomas Aquinas

A short post for today. Hopefully some value added to someone. Pausing and thinking about the friends in my life has made it very worthwhile for me. "Things are never quite as scary when you've got a best friend." (Watterson)

Thanks for checking in. More to come soon. See you then.





No comments:

Post a Comment