"A good father is one of the most unsung, unpraised, unnoticed, and yet one of the most valuable assets in our society."
Billy Graham
I find myself thinking about the early years during which we had young children growing up in our home, and occasionally call to mind my own childhood and recall with fondness many experiences that were had with my own father. Time and distance make many of these memories a little fuzzy, but they still seem to resonate upon consideration.
Today I think I'll spend time expanding upon some of the experience I had with my children (I'll save my childhood for another day).
Some of my favorite time spent with family was when we would travel to many destinations with everyone in a car or van. It all felt like an adventure. I don't recall any conflict arising among the children (it is possible that I have blocked this out) but we really did enjoy spending time together. We often sang songs that were learned in church meetings (Primary classes) or other places where children learn music. I may not have always known the lyrics perfectly but the Mahan children and their mother certainly did. Mrs. Mahan helped me as much as she could, and eventually I learned those lyrics and usually got them in the right order.
These trips might be a 6-7 hour drive to Bayfield, CO, or a 3.5 hour drive to Grand Junction, CO, or, what became a family favorite a 4 plus hour drive to Powderhorn Resort on The Grand Mesa. A lot of laughter, singing, and quiet conversation occurred during these drives and continued upon arrival at our specific destinations. Extended family was always part of the destination and relationships were forged with Grandparents, Aunts, and Uncles. Looking back I realize how important those relationships have been and I am extremely grateful that we had the opportunity for them to be formed. It really does take a village, though sometimes I think society forgets that a village is often quite small.
Moving on: For a few years I was employed in a job that began each day at 10:00p.m. and ended anywhere between 5:00a.m. and 10:00a.m.. On the days when my workday stretched into mid morning I came home and went straight to bed. During the summer months my children would have a small swimming pool in the back yard that got dumped at the end of the day and refilled with cold water each morning. By lunchtime the water had warmed up enough that they could enjoy some fun running into and out of the pool kicking and splashing water on each other and the dog(s). When I would awaken during the hot part of the day I would often go out and sit in the water with them. There were days when I would walk straight out while still in my work clothes and sit. Fun for me, fun for them, even the dog(s) seemed to enjoy the joke.
Another favorite memory of mine was playing kickball with the family in the back yard. With seven, sometimes eight, of us playing we made a lot of noise. I'm sure the neighbors enjoyed listening to the hullaballoo as much as we enjoyed creating it. My son and I played a lot of a catch in that same back yard. Baseball, football, really any kind of ball that could be tossed back and forth. As they got older this happened less often but still was an occasional burst of familial frivolity.
I don't sneeze a lot, but when I do it is loud. I have startled many a child and even my spouse with a sudden burst of two or three very loud outbursts. I'm sure the sneezes themselves are not a good memory but the laughter (or, at least grinning grimaces) following may be a memory each of my children have. Mrs. Mahan still has the pleasure of the more frequent outbursts which may not be such a positive recollection for her. I believe most of the kids have not inherited from me this habit that I seem to have developed after hearing my own father shake the rafters for my entire youth.
"My father didn't tell me how to live. He lived and let me watch him do it."
Clarence Budington Kelland
When our oldest children were small I have a few specific memories I'll share now.
We lived in a house that was situated in the middle of a forty acre field (usually of onions). While on that property we had three dogs who joined us. Our oldest child was born while we lived there. Each evening after dinner I would often go sit on a lounge chair under the shade of the ancient Cottonwood trees that surrounded the house and out buildings. Those dogs would usually join me in the shade. When our daughter reached toddler age she would also come out and play nearby. Often she would sit on the back of one of the dogs and chatter at him. She would climb on and off and on and off and.... well you get the idea. They were very patient with her even when she played with their ears and stayed on a back for a long time.
Our second child arrived after we had moved from that property and as he grew to toddler age he liked to climb all over me as I lay on the floor of our domicile. He didn't play with my ears but he rolled over my back and hips for lengthy periods of time. I doubt that either of them have any recollection of these occurrences but they are fond recollections of mine.
All of our children have made (or are making) more of themselves than we ever did. For this great blessing I am grateful. My hope is that we have contributed in some small way to who they have become.
Thanks for checking in. More to come soon, See you then.
No comments:
Post a Comment