Tuesday, August 19, 2014

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." Dr. Seuss

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go." (Dr. Seuss)

I try to have a positive outlook on life and its circumstances, most of the time. But there are days when it can be a battle to see the bright side. Today could have been one of those days with a cloud appearing over my head. I just returned to my office from a funeral for a twenty-two year old woman who passed as a result of injuries from a roll-over vehicle accident last week. She leaves behind a spouse and two small children in addition to many other family members and friends.

It is hard when thinking of something like this to see any good or positive thing that may come from it. It also is too easy to dwell on all the obvious negatives. Seeing the suffering and pain of the family and close friends of this young woman is a hard thing. To try and provide any comfort or peace is difficult. I think that the simple act of being there provides a little comfort. Words spoken will be forgotten, but physical presence can and does provide a needed reminder that we are not alone here.

A Facebook friend of mine (former co-worker) over the course of the past year went through the experience of watching one of her children slowly die. She posted this thought a month or so following her daughters death.

    "We all grieve differently, I understand that. But I get tired of being treated like I am broken because I've lost a child. I'm sometimes sad or angry, but choose to be grateful. I choose to honor the time I've been given, my other children, and most of all Mia's memory by consciously searching for positive thoughts and memories and enjoying the new positive memories I get to make each day. Some days it's harder than others but I choose to live, not wallow, because Mia would be very mad if I wasted the opportunity to be happy. I'll see her again and know she understand and be glad I choose to live."

                                                                                                                  Jennelle TerHar Ertl

I have not had to endure anything akin to the loss of one of our children. I agree wholeheartedly with the often used quote that "A parent should never have to bury one of their children." Having read the post on Jenelle's Facebook wall I was moved to ponder if I would have the strength to endure such an occurrence with the same uplifting attitude. I like to believe that I would. And thank you Jennelle for sharing the journey that began for you and your family nearly a year ago.

I don't know the faith of all who might read these words - but faith in God makes a tremendous difference for me. It is my faith that helps me to have a positive outlook most of the time. Though there are those occasional days (like this one) when things that occur dampen that positive outlook.

Thanks for checking in. More to come soon. See you then.

1 comment: