Friday, November 1, 2013

This is the season!

John F. Kennedy is quoted as saying, "As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them."

We leave it to others to judge whether our lives reflect the wisdom shared in this quote.

I know others who do live by this precept, and recognize in their lives a greater peace than I sometimes feel in my life. I remember a day in our young married life, when listening to a radio program, someone made a comment during this season of the year that gave me pause. I do not recall who nor do I have the exact example shared but, I remember the feeling that we (my family) could do some simple things to express our gratitude for some of the folks who influenced our lives.

We discussed the idea a few days later and determined a simple note passed along to each of the teachers our school aged children encountered each day/week would be a good place to start. My sweetheart took on the task (at the time we had at least 2 possibly 3 in school) of writing an expression of thanks that would be shared with those charged with the education of our children. I read each as my name was added at the bottom of each card and realized that Cindy was far better equipped to express what we had discussed for each. 

I remember the first time I realized the impact of those simple expressions of gratitude. With several children in school we could not always meet together (as parents) with each teacher during parent teacher conferences - we had to divide and conquer, if you will. I met that year with Beth Knutson and as she realized whose dad I was she teared up and let me know how much the kind words meant to her at that time in her career. There have been others over the years but this experience set in my mind the value of this interaction.

"Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it" (William Arthur Ward).

Each evening as I return to our home I am greeted by a couple characters who are always so glad to see me. Grateful that I have once again returned to our shared domicile; where we care for and love one another. Their tails wag, their bodies convey every emotion they feel. The animals we have had in our lives have probably showed me some of the greatest examples of how to express, without reservation, love and gratitude. What a blessing to my family and to me. 

"If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans" (James Herriot). 

A short post today. Thanks for checking in. More to come soon. See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment